20 Mar 2014

Clay Rodery Illustration + Interview

Lorde 
Person of Interest's Root
"People will believe in anything"
"The Wait"
Twin Peaks
PJ Harvey
"You know what they say about slugs?"
"Borges' nightmare"
Blade Runner's Roy Batty
 Poison Ivy
True Detective's "The Yellow King"
Game of Throne's Daenerys Targaryen
Batgirl
Superman's Lois Lane
Inception
"Childhood dream"
"An American Moviegoer in Paris", for The Atlantic
"Hair"
 Jimi Hendrix
Françoise Hardy
"Riding the Edge", illustration for Backstage Magazine
Batman
Featured on an article about rebooting the Batman film franchise on io9
 The Joker's style
Batgirl 
Chinatown 
Batgirl
Michael Chekhov’s 3 Character Types, for Backstage Magazine
Batman
 Poster reinterpretation commission for The Empire Strikes Back
"Martian" 
 RIP Lou Reed
 Breaking Bad's Walter White
Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal
"The Two Kinds of Nothing", illustration for Backstage Magazine
"Dorothy and the Cyclone", from “Curtains of Oz”

Clay Rodery is a 29-year-old illustrator from Galveston, Texas. He studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and the School of Visual Arts of New York. He's worked for The New York TimesThe AtlanticNew York MagazinePlayboyio9Backstage Magazine and NBC among others. His latest comission includes a series of posters for HBO to help to promote the new Game of Thrones' season. 

As you can see above and below his work is not only amazing but also mesmerizing, so that's why we wanted to talk to him about it and know more about his process, his inspiration and other interesting things. Here is our interview:   

(Self portrait, January 2014)


 How did you get into illustration? // ¿Cómo comenzaste con el dibujo?

I've just always been drawing, and what I've been drawing has always been the things that have held my interest.  I can't help but relate what I feel about what's going on with me and and how the world affects me, so why not get paid for it? // Siempre he estado dibujando, y lo que dibujaba siempre eran las cosas que captaban mi interés. No puedo evitar reflejar lo que me está pasando y cómo el mundo me afecta, así que, ¿por qué no conseguir que me pagaran por ello? 

 Could you tell us a bit about your process and how are you working more on digital these days? // ¿Nos podrías contar algo sobre tu proceso y cómo estás trabajando ahora más en digital?

I used to not like the way all-digital work looked, which is why for the longest time I'd do all my pencils, inking, etc. on scanned paper and then digitally color into them, just so the work had a bit of grit - something of substance the eye could really bite into.  Nowadays though, digital can provide that extra bit of something that I like in my pictures.  It's not about trying to fool the viewer into thinking it's something that it's not - I believe my audience is intelligent and realize immediately it's digital. // No me solía gustar la apariencia del trabajo digital, y por eso durante mucho tiempo hacía todo con mis pinceles, tinta, etc. en papel escaneado y luego digitalizando el color en ellos, para que el trabajo tuviera un poco de grano - algo de sustancia en lo que el ojo pudiera centrarse. Sin embargo, a día de hoy, el trabajo digital puede proporcionar ese extra que me gusta ver en mis cuadros. No se trata de engañar al espectador haciéndole creer que se trata de algo que no es - creo que mis seguidores son inteligentes y se dan cuenta inmediamente de si es digital. 

(Some of Rodery's animated GIFs)

 Who are your favorite illustrators? // ¿Quiénes son tus ilustradores favoritos?

This might be an unfair question full of bias, but I'll answer honestly; my favorite illustrators are the ones who are my best friends.  I love these people dearly, not just because their work is amazing and they challenge me to be a better artist, but they're just wonderful people.  I was also extremely fortunate to study under Marshall Arisman, who I've worshiped since I was in middle school. Barron Storey, Sergio Toppi, Hugo Pratt, Bob Peak, Bill Sienkiewicz, Arthur Rackham, Harry Clarke are giants in my life. // Ésa podría ser una pregunta nada imparcial, llena de favoritismos, pero la contestaré honestamente: mis ilustradores favoritos son mis mejores amigos. Quiero sinceramente a esa gente, no sólo porque su trabajo es increíble y me desafían a ser mejor artista, sino porque son gente maravillosa. También fui extremedamente afortunado de poder estudiar bajo la tutela de Marshall Arisman, a quien admiraba desde que estaba en la escuela. Barron Storey, Sergio Toppi, Hugo Pratt, Bob Peak, Bill Sienkiewicz, Arthur Rackham, Harry Clarke son gigantes en mi vida. 

♦ What art movements do you like the most? // ¿Cuáles son tus movimientos artísticos favoritos?

I love love love German Expressionism, I think that's a huge influence on me, along with the Vienna Secession.  The Bauhaus most certainly, and Abstract Expressionism (which a lot of illustrators will shit on, but that's stupid).  I love Art Noveau to no end. // Amo, amo, amo el Expresionismo Alemán. Creo que es una de mis grandes influencias, junto a la Secesión vienesa. El Bauhaus por supuesto, y el Expresionismo Abstracto (al que critican muchos ilustradores, algo estúpido). Amo infinitamente el Art Noveau

 You describe your work like this: "I illustrate things with a neo-noir bent and have a profound taste for the bizarre. And time/space travel. And nocturnal crime-fighters." I'm also a big fan of that. Why are you drawn to those things? Which films, books/comics or music have influenced you the most? // Describes así tu trabajo: “Hago ilustraciones de cosas con un estilo neo-noir y tengo un gran gusto por lo bizarro. Y el viaje en el espacio-tiempo. Y los vigilantes nocturnos.” Yo también soy una gran admiradora de todo eso. ¿Por qué te atraen esas cosas? ¿Qué películas, libros/cómics, o música son los que más te han influenciado?

I've always loved film noir.  Bringing tenebrism into motion pictures just has always captivated me, so media which is darker both in its visual/sonic aspects as well as its subject matter just resonate with me.  I'm a big fan of Joy Division, of Blues, and generally of musicians renowned for their experimentation and during that experimental period they didn't give a fuck what anyone thought about them.  I'm also a huge fan of Jorge Luis Borges...his stories just sing in my mind. // Siempre me ha encantado el cine negro. Utilizar el tenebrismo en las imágenes animadas siempre me ha cautivado, así que todo tipo de trabajo audiovisual oscuro, en los aspectos de la imagen y el sonido, así como en el tema, me fascina. Soy un gran fan de Joy Division, del Blues, y en general de músicos conocidos por su experimentación, que no les importa nada lo que la gente piense de ellos. También soy un gran admirador de Jorge Luis Borges... sus historias simplemente resuenan en mi mente.

 I've noticed you like to draw anti-heroes and bad guys (like the Joker, Mads Mikkelsen on NBC’s Hannibal or Walter White - Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad) which are characters I also like. David Lynch said that he was drawn to explore these characters and that “Only the bad guys have style." That also reminded me of what Rust Cohle (played by Matthew McConaughey on the HBO series True Detective) said: “The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door.” What intrigues you about these characters? And who are you favorite anti-heroes / villains? 

// Me he dado cuenta de que te gusta dibujar anti-héroes y tipos malos (como el Joker, el Hannibal al que interpreta Mads Mikkelsen en la serie de NBC, o el Walter White - Bryan Cranston - de la serie Breaking Bad) que son personajes que a mí también me gustan. David Lynch dijo que se sentía atraído a explorar estos personajes y que “Sólo los tipos malos tienen estilo”. Eso también me recuerda a lo que dijo Rust Cohle de True Detective (personaje de la serie de HBO, al que interpreta Matthew McConaughey): “El mundo necesita tipos malos. Mantenemos a ralla a los otros tipos malos”. ¿Qué es lo que te intriga de estos personajes? ¿Y quiénes son tus anti-héroes/villanos favoritos?

I think it just comes from an awareness that we're all capable of extreme darkness, and I firmly believe you have a better chance of staying a relatively good person by at least being honest with yourself and aware of the darker potential of your nature.  Rust (Cohle) is a perfect example of that; he's well aware of the horrible things he as a person is capable of engaging in, and by that awareness has set himself a personal limit for how far he will or won't go.  Marty (Martin Hart, Woody Harrelson on True Detective) didn't have that awareness, which is why within a minute's time he went from being a policeman who had never fired his weapon, to executioner.  As for my favorite anti-heroes/villains, I think you named them already (laughs). 

// Pienso que simplemente se trata de darse cuenta de que todos somos capaces de la oscuridad extrema, y realmente creo que tienes una  mayor posibilidad de ser más o menos una buena persona si al menos eres honesto contigo mismo y eres consciente del oscuro potencial de tu naturaleza. Rust (Cohle) es el perfecto ejemplo de eso: él es muy consciente de las cosas horribles que como persona puede hacer, y por esa consciencia se ha puesto a sí mismo un límite de hasta donde puede llegar y hasta dónde no. Marty (Martin Hart, Woody Harrelson en True Detective) no se da cuenta de eso, por eso es por lo que en cuestión de segundos pasa de ser un policía que nunca había disparado su arma a un verdugo. Al respecto de mis anti-héroes/villanos favoritos, creo que ya los has mencionado tú (risas). 

♦ Speaking of series like True Detective, I’ve seen some of your illustrations of Game of Thrones’ characters and that HBO has comissioned you and other artists to illustrate the most memorable deaths of the previous seasons to promote Season 4. They’re posting them on http://beautifuldeath.com/ . You did an amazing job with an illustration they posted on True Detective’s HBO Facebook page. Was that also a comission? Or they contacted you after seeing that one? // Hablando de series como True Detective, he visto algunas de tus ilustraciones de los personajes de Game of Thrones y que la cadena, HBO, te ha contratado para que tú y otros artistas dibujéis las muertes más icónicas de las pasadas temporadas para promocionar la 4ª Temporada. Están posteándolas en http://beautifuldeath.com/  . Tú hiciste un trabajo increíble con un dibujo que postearon en la página de Facebook de HBO de True Detective. ¿Eso también fue un encargo? ¿O se pusieron en contacto contigo después de ver ese trabajo?

Thank you!  No, I actually had talked with HBO about doing the Game of Thrones work just the day prior to doing the Yellow King picture.  They were completely unrelated (pretty neat though they retweeted it...that was very nice [laughs]) // ¡Gracias! No, en realidad había hablado con HBO sobre hacer el trabajo sobre Game of Thrones justo el día anterior a pintar el Yellow King (símbolo de True Detective). No tuvo nada que ver  (aunque estuvo muy bien que lo compartieran [risas]). 

♦ Of all your illustrations, which one is your favorite? // ¿De todos tus dibujos, cuál es tu favorito?

Oh wow, I don't know.  Honestly I usually end up hating my work after about 3 months, which is why I keep making new stuff.  I guess then my favorite work is the stuff I haven't made yet. // Oh vaya, no sé. Sinceramente, normalmente termino por acabar detestando mi trabajo después de tres meses, que es por lo que sigo haciendo cosas nuevas. Supongo que mi obra favorita es aquella que aún no he realizado.

♦ Imagine some famous personality would ask you to do a portrait. Who would you like it to be? Dead or alive, it doesn't matter. // Imagina que algún personaje célebre te pidiese que le hicieses un retrato. ¿Quién te gustaría que fuera? Muerto o vivo, no importa. 

Whoever the real Jack the Ripper was... I'd like to do their portrait and and interview with them (behind bars of course) // Quién fuera que fuese el verdadero Jack el Destripador... me gustaría hacer su retrato y entrevistarlo (detrás de los barrotes de una prisión, por supuesto).

♦ I'm a big Willem Dafoe fan and I love Ferrara's films, so I have to ask you about this. Did you contact Ferrara or did he contact you regarding the "Unused poster illustration for Abel Ferrara’s forthcoming film, “4:44 Last Day on Earth”, starring Willem Dafoe"? // Soy una gran admiradora de Willem Dafoe y me encantan algunas películas de Ferrara, así que tengo que preguntarte sobre esto. ¿Te pusiste en contacto con Ferrara o él contigo, acerca del “Póster no utilizado de la película de Abel Ferrara “4:44 Last Day on Earth”, protagonizada por Willem Dafoe?


Oh no, I was brought in on that project through David Komurek, who is a friend of mine and Abel's, as well as my art director for a time.  Most certainly one of the most interesting projects I've ever worked on, even though none of my work ever got used. // Oh no, me metió en ese proyecto David Komurek, un amigo mío y de Abel, así como de mi antiguo director artístico. Sin duda uno de los proyectos más interesantes en los que he trabajo, aunque al final no utilizaron mi trabajo. 

♦ You have some great illustrations featuring politics and human rights. Do you feel like you can manifest your opinion with Illustration? I think it's been a great channel for political expression, like during May 68. And what was the idea of turning Santorum, Romney, etc. into zombies? // Tienes algunos dibujos geniales con contenido político y de derechos humanos. ¿Sientes que puedes manifestar tu opinión mediante el dibujo? Pienso que ha sido un gran medio para la expresión política, como en Mayo del 68. ¿Y cuál era la idea de convertir a Santorum, Romney, etc., en zombies?

 "President Obama's Internal Threat Program"
"President Obama's Crumbling Support"

Drawing was literally my first way of communicating... I didn't hardly speak until I was 3, but I was already making pictures. Thusly, while I don't always discuss outright what my political/philosophic views are, my work is most certainly a reflection of my beliefs. As for the GOP candidates, I didn't exactly set out for them to be zombies... I think that labeling came later when people tried describing the pictures.  I see them as true portraits of who these "men" really are; amorphous, malformed, gluttonous, malignant monsters, but just 4 of many nationalistic monsters singing songs of how patriotic they are and why I'm supposed to think that's some kind of virtue.  But like the end of Killing Them Softly, "America's not a country; it's just a business."

"Over-Policing on USA Schools"
Santorum / Romney


El dibujo fue literalmente mi primera forma de comunicación... prácticamente no hablaba hasta que tuve tres años, pero ya estaba dibujando. Así que, aunque no siempre suelo hablar de mis puntos de vista políticos / filosóficos, mi trabajo es sin duda el reflejo de mis creencias. Y sobre los candidatos del partido republicano, no quería realmente convertirlos en zombies... pienso que esa etiqueta fue algo que vino después cuando la gente comenzó a hablar de los dibujos. Yo los veo como los retratos reales de quiénes son estos “hombres”: monstruos amorfos, deformes, glutones, malignos, pero sólo son cuatro de los muchos mosntruos nacionales que nos venden cuentos de lo patrióticos que son y cómo debemos creer que eso es una virtud. Pero como dicen en el final de Killing Them Softly, “Estados Unidos no es un país, es sólo un negocio.

SOPA

 How it felt to see your first illustration on The New York Times? // ¿Cómo fue la sensación de ver tu primer dibujo en The New York Times?

(Rodery's illustration on The New York Times)

Wonderful... that was like reaching the top of a mountain. But there are many mountains. // Maravillosa... fue como alcanzar la cima de una montaña. Pero hay muchas montañas. 

(Rodery's illustration on The New York Times.  
On a piece about The US Decision to Arm Syrian Rebels, June, 2013)

♦ What can you tell us about your project called ‘Otherwordly Grounds’? // ¿Qué nos puedes decir de tu proyecto llamado ‘Otherwordly Grounds’?


'Otherworldly Grounds' is my baby - it's the combination of a bunch of short space stories of mine from as far back as 2007, but now all resolved into one large narrative.  I don't want to spoil anything, but I suppose I can talk inspirations.  The whole story itself is largely inspired from a few of stories by Borges (sorry, can't reveal which ones, otherwise it gives too much away).  O.G. has a an integral element of medical horror, which is something that has always been a part of my space stories, but recently I read Susannah Cahalan's Brain On Fire: My Month of Madness and was just very touched and influenced by her incredible story**. But medical/space horror aside, I do see my story as being an optimistic one; I mean 95 years from now (when it takes place), the human race is still here and we're in a much better place than we are now (granted, I'm not telling you a story about the troubles that we have to live through within those 94 years between then and now, but that's another story for another day). // 'Otherwordly Grounds' es mi criatura - es la combinación de una serie de relatos del espacio que he escrito desde 2007, pero ahora convertidos en una larga narrativa. No quiero revelar nada, pero supongo que puedo hablar de la inspiración. La historia viene inspirada por una serie de relatos de Borges (siento no poder deciros cuáles, porque sería revelar demasiado). O.G. tiene un elemento central de medical horror, que es algo que siempre ha formado parte de las historias del espacio, pero recientemente he leído Brain On Fire: My Month of Madness de Susannah Cahalan y me sentí muy conmocionado e influenciado por su increíble historia.** Pero además de eso, veo mi historia como una optimista; quiero decir dentro de 95 años (la época en la que transcurre) la raza humana seguirá existiendo y está en un lugar mucho mejor que ahora. 

(**Susanna Cahalan's Brain on Fire was literally CANNIBALIZED for Hannibal; Susanna was the 217th patient EVER diagnosed with Anti–NMDA Receptor Autoimmune Encephalitis. So even though I love the show, it's very disappointing that Bryan Fuller - the creator -or anyone else associated with the show has not acknowledged Cahalan as an influence, despite "Anti–NMDA Receptor Autoimmune Encephalitis" being EXACTLY what Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) is diagnosed with, that the clock test being EXACTLY how they diagnosed Susanna, and that even Alana Bloom (Caroline Dhavernas) has recently said "Your mind was on fire"...Brain On Fire, get it?   Anyway, I wanted to point this out because I want to give full credit to those who inspire me, instead of being inspired but hiding my inspiration so that I look smarter than I actually am // Brain on Fire de Susanna Cahalan ha sido literalmente CANIBALIZADO en la serie Hannibal; Susanna fue la paciente número 217 en ser diagnosticada como Receptora de la Encefalitis Autoinmune Anti-NMDA. Así que aunque me encanta la serie, es bastante decepcionante que Bryan Fuller - el creador - o cualquiera relacionado con ella no haya mencionado a Cahalan como una influencia, aunque es esa enfermendad EXACTAMENTE la que se diagnostica a Will Graham (Hugh Dancy), el test del reloj EXACTAMENTE como se diagnostica a Susanna, e incluso Alana Bloom  (Caroline Dhavernas) ha dicho recientemente “Tu mente está on fire”... Brain On Fire, ¿lo ves? De todas maneras, quería destacar esto porque me gusta dar crédito a las personas que me inspiran,  y no esconderlo para parecer más listo. )

 Do you have other new projects? // ¿Tienes otros nuevos proyectos?
I have several pots boiling :)   More on them in time. // Tengo unas cuantas cazuelas en el fuego. Con el tiempo irán saliendo. 


You can find all Clay Rodery's work in here: 




 Mara

4 comments:

AVY said...

Those are amazing, I love the one of Twin Peaks. Good to know there are people like that out there.

/Avy

http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

holabolababes@gmail.com said...

So cool that you reached him for this amazing interview. Really sustainable input and post.
Thanks girls.
Love, Emilie

. said...

Great interview and amazing artwork!!! I especially love the Batman work.

Marco Méndez said...

Hasta hoy saco el rato para leer con detenimiento tan extensa entrada que le dedicó a Clay Rodery y sus trabajos. Sigo la página de FB de GoT, donde encontré las soberbias ilustraciones que menciona en la entrevista.

Quizá él no es muy conocido por el momento, pero como lo reseña en su entrada viene llevando una interesante proyección y no sería de extrañar que pronto encontremos sus trabajos más habitualmente. Tanto en la web como en medios más tradicionales. Tiene un gran plus en ir retratando la cultura popular: cine, música y las series de TV de las que nunca estoy al día. Le tengo mucha curiosidad a Otherwordly Grounds, ojalá pronto sepamos de ese trabajo.

Entrevista de lujo Mara, saludos.